Sunday, September 23, 2012

ZeroAccess: How to remove the latest version

   In my previous 2 posts I have highlighted the changes in the newer version of ZeroAccess and how to tell if you are infected, and who is at most risk. This post will cover how to get rid of this infection, and what tools to use to protect against it.

    The easiest way is to download one of many anti-virus programs, or removal tools. I always recommend ESET as they have always gotten the job done for me and my family. ESET has made a tool specifically to remove the ZeroAccess bot, one that is easy and completely free.

  1. Download the tool here
  2. Start the tool by double clicking it.
  3. Press "Y" when it asks you if you want to restore system services
  4. Once the tool has finished working, restart your computer by pressing any key.
  5. You may be prompted with a security window upon restarting, click yes or allow
  6. Click "Yes" on the repair window
  7. Once the repair is finished, you will be prompted to restart again, do so.
  8. For best results and to ensure complete removal, purchase ESET Smart Security or ESET Nod32 and run a full scan.
    As you can see, it is fairly simple to remove this virus, if you have any trouble, comments, or questions, let me know in the comments section (Don't be embarrassed, I have to approve comments, if you think it is a stupid question, just ask that I do not post the comment, and I will contact you directly.)

    The main way this bot spreads is through exploits, most of which are patched in the latest versions of the software they are designed to exploit, so make sure you apply regular updates, and don't visit shady sites. Also, I know it may be hard to refrain from pirating things like games, so I encourage you to only download "cracks" if there have been many downloads, even then, make sure to read the comments and do not download if it is reported to be infected, or not working correctly. Also remember that I do not condone pirating or any form of illegal downloads.


No comments:

Post a Comment